Article by The Drummond Team
International Stress Awareness Week – 5th to 9th November 2018
In recognition of International Stress Awareness Week (5th – 9th November 2018) here’s a few tips to help keep stress or tension at bay in order to be relaxed and productive! It can be easy to fall into bad habits of negativity or letting anxiety take over but there are a few small things that you can do to stay mindful.
- Take a breath. Taking a few minutes for yourself to focus on your breathing can bring clarity to confusing or stressful moments. Take 5 deep breaths in through the nose, breathing into your belly, expanding your ribs, reaching your collarbones and exhaling the same way. Imagine the stress leaving your body with your breath!
- Create a miracle morning! Start a routine in the morning that puts your in a good mood and starts your day in a positive way. That could be a playlist of your favourite songs, a morning rave or perhaps just doing a few sun salutations to prepare your mind and body for the day’s events.
- Take time for exercise. If you suffer with anxiety one of the best things you can do is get up and exercise. That may take whatever form you like, it could be as low intensity as going for a walk, going to a revitalising yoga class or as high as going to a HIIT class – whatever does it for you, just do it, it will instantly make you feel better as those endorphins rush round your body.
- Avoid caffeine! Unfortunately caffeine only stimulates the areas of your brain which are causing you to feel overwhelmed in the first place – opt for water instead – perhaps flavour it with lemons or cucumber to taste!
- Ask for help. Don’t let yourself suffer in silence, if your worries or struggling about something that somebody else can help with, reach out! The old phrase a problem shared is a problem halved isn’t said for no reason. It will help resolve your anxiety and may get the task done quicker!