- 300 g unrefined soft light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 300 ml oil I use rapeseed oil
- 300 g gluten free plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- half tsp vanilla extract
- 300 g grated carrots
- 100 g crushed nuts such as walnuts & pecans optional
- 400 g dairy free cream cheese (like Tofutti)
- 50 g dairy free spread softened
- 50 ml maple syrup
- Walnut havles for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease your cake tin(s) – however many cake layers you desire!
- Place your sugar, eggs and oil in a bowl (if using a handheld electric whisk) or a mixer (such as a KitchenAid) beat thoroughly until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl mix together your gluten free flour, bicarb, baking powder, cinnamon & ginger.
- Gradually add the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger mixture; followed by your vanilla extract & continue to beat until fully mixed.
- Stir in the grated carrots and nuts.
- Pour the mixture into your greased cake tins.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, the sponges should be golden brown.
- Leave the cakes to cool for a few minutes in the tins before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the dairy free cream cheese frosting place the cream cheese in a bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add the dairy free spread and maple syrup and beat together.
- Refrigerate until the cakes have cooled.
- When the cakes are cold, spread your dairy free cream cheese frosting with a palette knife. (If you are just placing icing on the top of a single cake, do so… OR if you have multiple layers, use the icing to sandwich the layers together.
- Place walnuts on top of the icing and if you want you can make your own marzipan carrots like in the photo!
If you can eat dairy then feel free to use a regular cream cheese & butter in the cream cheese frosting. However, Tofutti is an amazing way to create dairy free cream cheese frosting.