This healthy crumb recipe will lower the carb content of this schnitzel style chicken and increase the nutrient content.
- 2 free range chicken breast fillets (sliced in half to make 4)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (or 2 tbsp plain flour)
- 1 organic / free range egg beaten
- 1 cup ground unsalted natural almonds (try crushing tuc biscuits if allergic to nuts)
- 1 lemons
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
- 3 medium courgettes (finely sliced lengthways in a veg peeler)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Grated zest of a lemon
- Small handful of mint or basil finely chopped
- 75g Feta
- Light pepper seasoning
- In a bowl, combine the crumbed almonds, the zest of 1 lemon and the parsley.
- Lightly coat the chicken breast in the arrowroot (or flour) then dip into the egg mix, then roll in the almond mix (or tuc biscuit crumbs), firmly patting in the crumb.
- Cook over a low to medium heat in a pan using 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil until lightly golden and chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile pre-heat a griddle pan until hot. Brush the courgette slices with a little oil, season and then griddle in batches until tender and ridge marked.
- Transfer the courgettes to a serving bowl.
- Squeeze over a little lemon juice and a grating of lemon zest. Crumble the feta over the courgette and scatter with the herbs to serve.
Adapated from Waitrose.com