Here’s a few recipes for classic Christmas table sauces that are healthy – and delicious:
Cranberry sauce recipe (this one’s gluten free, dairy free, wheat free – and vegan-friendly!):
- 1 bag cranberries, freshor frozen
- 1 tbsp agave syrup (substitute: honey)
- 1⁄2 orange, juice only
- 1⁄2 orange, zest only
- 3 tbsp water
- extra water (optional/as required)
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and gently heat until the frozen cranberries (if used) have defrosted.
- Bring contents to the boil, if the mixture appears too thick then thin it down to your preferred consistency using small amounts of water.
- Turn the heat down and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Gluten-free bread sauce:
COOKS IN: 20 MINUTES
KCAL 113 FAT 5.8g SATURATES 2.9g PROTEIN 2.9g CARBS 11.9g SUGARS 4.9g
- 750 ml milk
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 slices of white gluten-free bread
- 1 large knob of butter
- 1 splash of double cream
- Pour the milk into a small nonstick pan. Peel and chop the onion, and peel the garlic. Add both to the pan with the cloves and bay leaves, and season well.
- Tear the bread into chunks. Bring the milk mixture to the boil, then add the bread and simmer, stirring occasionally, over a low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until the onion is cooked.
- Carefully remove the cloves and bay leaves, then transfer the sauce to a blender and blitz till puréed.
- Return to the pan, adjust the seasoning and continue to gently cook, stirring constantly, for a few minutes to thicken. Stir in the butter and cream to finish.